Hi, I will write this article in a way that it feels as if I was talking to you so that it feels less formal and more personal. If by the end of this article I am able to convince you to take a step, then I will be delighted I could help you, but if in case you decide not to take a step or if I don’t make sense, then thank you for taking the time to listen to what I had to say.
What Does Taking The First Step Mean?
Taking the first step essentially means starting off. You make the first move to start your journey, which will help you get the life you want.
There are times in life when we see our friends achieving great things. Of course, you are happy for them, but you also wonder how come they started achieving so much and how come you have not? The answer is simple; they took the first step. It is said that taking the first step is the hardest.
Why? Because taking the first step means trying something new and going into a world that is unknown to you. Sometimes even when you want to take the first step, you just can’t. It’s as if you are stuck in a box, and you can’t get out of it. You want to get out of the box, but you don’t know how to, and it feels too difficult. At some point, this box gets too comfortable, and so even if you manage to figure how to get out of it, you decide to stay there. You can’t fail if you never try, right?
As someone who was also stuck in a box, I think I understand this fear of failure and not wanting to try better than most people. But eventually, I did decide to take a step, and I can tell you that while it has not been easy, it did turn out to be the right thing.
Importance Of Taking The First Step:
Below are some of the reasons why taking the first step is going to help you do better ultimately:
1. A feeling of calmness: It feels suffocating and helpless when we decide not to take a step. You feel stuck, and you don’t know how to get out of this terrible situation and how to stop feeling so scared. Taking the first step, whether it is in the form of applying for an internship or a college or going for that job or just trying to do anything new, you get a break from the feeling of fear.
A sense of relief and calm washes over you because you realize that you have done the most challenging part, taking a shot.
2. Discovering yourself: When you take a step and try new things, you find out what works for you and what does not, what skills you have, and how they can help you. You learn about new things, find new interests and discover that you are good at something that you assumed weren’t your forte.
3. Dealing with failure: More often than not, the most challenging part about starting is the fear of failure. What if you keep failing and realize you are not good at anything? The thing is, you learn to pick yourself up. For instance, you apply for a job, but you don’t get it; initially, it will feel like the worst thing in the world, but then something clicks, and you realize that you are going to be okay, and it is not the worst thing to happen to you. You get up and try again.
What I’m trying to say here is that you realize that it’s okay to try and fail and try and fail again and again until you find something that works for you.
4. Finding new people: I think one of the best things about taking a step is interacting with new people. Now you may not always find good people, or you might find a good human being but not end up interacting with them more than twice or thrice. But every time you meet someone, you learn something about their life, and hence you learn something new.
For instance, you may come across someone like you and realize that if they are okay, then maybe in the future, you will be okay too, and that feeling of knowing you will be okay is worth a lot when you think everything is going wrong.
5. Getting to know the real world: The scariest step about taking a step is the real world. As I said, we often think we are not ready for it, and it is not ready for us. But when you do step into this world, you realize that most people are winging it, and you are a part of this world too. It feels less lonely, and I think you accept that you will learn to cope with everything this world has to offer as and when the time comes, just like everyone else did.
How To Take The First Step:
There is no fixed way of making the first step but below are 3 points to keep in mind if in case you are scared of taking a chance.
1. Start where you are: Do not wait for the perfect moment to make your move. Just make a move. Not taking action will lead to the building up of fear, so taking a step will become more complex.
2. Importance of small steps: Rome wasn’t built in a day. Similarly, you will not achieve everything in a day. Realize that you don’t need to achieve everything in a day, and you can take your time to figure out things. Once you know that you can take your time, it will be much easier to start.
3. Believe in yourself: To do or achieve anything, one needs to believe in themselves. Give yourself enough credit and believe that you will be able to handle whatever the world will throw at you.
In the end, all I would like to say is that it is never too late to start, and once you do, you will realize that you will be okay.